Fatness 2 Fitness

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Krav Maga Addiction

If anyone has been following along with the posts, you would notice a common thread of Krav Maga throughout each installment of our journey from Fatness 2 Fitness. Krav Maga has become quite addicting, inspiring confidence, greater physical strength and endurance, speed and awareness....not to mention the rather quick loss of weight in comparison to typical dieting.

Each class has taught us a new lesson about ourselves, our physical strengths and weaknesses, our habits, our fears and also our aspirations toward Krav Maga excellence. I never once thought that I would place so much value on a simple cloth belt...aspiring to reach each new belt with increased skill, power and technique....yet here I am planning how long it will take to reach the next belt, wondering what kind of training I need to go through to move to the next level. Without searching for some sort of Zen or peaceful frame of mind, I still find that after a great training session I reach a pleasant state, without concerns or problems...only reflection on my moves, how I can get better and what I've done well. This side effect was not in the brochure....and I've spoken to others who feel the same way. Conclusion: I'm not crazy.

Carrie has progressed in so many ways, as I have also, but she has transformed the way she punches (no girlie punches anymore) and kicks/knees (look out genitals...she's lethal). Her confidence in the ability to defend herself if danger came her way is a perfect example of how important a defense system like Krav Maga is for any individual. For over an hour each night (3-5 nights a week) we train; sweating, punching, kicking, blocking and throwing our bodies all over the mat. At the end of the night everyone is smiling, drenched with sweat, but floating on a euphoric high that we've all become just a bit more deadly. It's a great feeling to have.

It must be noted that this is not a basic cardio kickboxing course, not a typical karate course or even a typical boxing course...but is a combination of all these movements, stripped down to their bare essentials and taught to us in the simplest terms and moves possible. It's not about beauty but about effectiveness....or as one of our instructors Eddie puts it, using offense as a defense. I guess in my opinion Zapata had it right when he said, "I'd rather die on my feet than live a lifetime on my knees"....of course I have no intention of dying....that's something my attacker should be worried about.

3 Comments:

  • Krav maga is the best!!!
    See some pictures from Denmark:
    http://perjesi.blogspot.com/

    By Blogger nicolai perjesi, at 2:26 PM  

  • Krav rocks. It's the best workout I've ever had.

    John
    www.kravmagastlouis.com

    By Blogger Me, at 11:21 AM  

  • Very cool. I'm a black belt of the EX variety (couldn't stand the way the instructor always came-on to me - both of us males. How repulsive). I might think of taking Kempo karate in the future, but now, I'm more focused on the spiritual side, having received my long-awaited, long-time test of my belt. What's next? I don't have any desire for Hawaiian Kempo now, but what I do have a great passion for is the greatness of God. Follow along; if you don't get it, groovy. Notta prob. God bless you. But if you do, follow along till The End of your Finite Existence and we'll all go for a beer Upstairs --- Non-believers in Christ are definitely like particle board: alright for cabinet making and behind-the-scene in the dark, but ever see a HOUSE made up of that capillary material in the daylight? When the wind blows, you know how it goes: structural collapse, no meatNbones bringing U.S. to the Great Beyond, and, yes, we are that HOUSE. Barack Obama’s exactly like that: controlled by the filthy rich, partial-birth-abortion’s STILL a mortal sin deserving of the Abode of the Damned. Here’s three things you’ll never see: Satan praying the Rosary, end-to-the-slaughter without the Return of the King, and stanky BO preaching abstinence to young people DOMINUS VOBISCUM Lookit our blog, friend, and write something profound. God bless you profusely --- PS Did you know, when you pass-away the body swiftly turns into a disgusting mold and reeks? Worms and larva burrow, too, to find somewhere moist? Then, after about 50 years, only the skeleton remains. The bugs think, ‘Yuck! No use for calcium! Grody’ and they leave. Mortal humans! Think for a minute QUESTION: Where would the tissue, body parts, and skin go to if the bugs digested that and then pooped it away? Does it stay in the dirt without anything gobbling it up in this fast-food-culture? No, silly. A possible path: earthworms who love carbs to beautiful Robins to cats to dogs to Chinese people who love canines ANSWER: All of U.S. recycle (the world, too). How do you think we got here if Neanderthals went to Stonehenge and were teleported beyond? Again, all of U.S. recycle from old age, pass-away, to a brand, new baby. Read my weird-o blog and believe RECYCLING RULES!!!

    By Blogger -blessed holy socks, the non-perishable-zealot, at 12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home